As the event has grown, we have decided that it is our social responsibility to endorse charities. We have selected the following:
- Community Chest as they cover many areas and all the money collected is used for charity, not administration.
- Pink Drive who aim to provide affordable, convenient mammography services to women in the private and corporate sectors; and provide free scanning and education to disadvantaged communities via local clinics, community health centers and specified hospitals with no oncology facilities.
- MBTM who’re on your side guys. They’re dedicated to promoting awareness about the importance of early detection of prostate and testicular cancer! Their ‘More Balls Than Most’ campaign is aimed at keeping you up to date with the latest news, views and events relating to how you can play a crucial role in supporting this worthy cause.
- CHOC who look after the afflicted children suffering from cancer and other life threatening diseases will be collecting for their cause. You can bring along all your old surplus medals and these will be “awarded” to patients after a particularly tough treatment or bad day.
- Wheatfield Mission is a non-profit, non-sexist and non-denominational Mission Outreach motivated by love and compassion. They serve mankind irrespective of race, religion or culture, identifying needs and attempting to address them. Unemployment, HIV / AIDS and crime have taken their toll. On Sundays they feed an average of 2000 people. Clothing, blankets and food are collected. These, when available, are distributed to the poorest of the poor. Wheatfield Mission and their sister organisations are recipients of all our surpluses. Even unused water sachets are distributed as potable drinking water to those who usually carry buckets from dirty streams, etc.
- SPCA hold a special spot in our hearts and, beginning in 2017, we will be hosting a Doggy walk in conjunction with the local branch of the SPCA
There will be opportunities to make donations on the on line and printed entry forms as well as a collection point for non perishable foodstuffs and old shoes and T shirts at the event.
In five years over R200000 has been collected and distributed between the three Charities. They each raise further funds through their own efforts and around their association with the Maritzburg City Marathon.