PLEASE READ AND REMEMBER THIS INFORMATION
Please remember that there is a new start venue in New England Road and the finish venue is in the eastern end of the Golden Horse Driveway off New England Road.
Registration will also take place at the Sports Field at the eastern end of the Golden Horse Driveway.
All the information you need is in these instructions
It is all very very important to your safety and will contribute to you having a wonderful Maritzburg City Marathon experience.
Khayelihle Marathon Concert 6pm Friday 24th February 2017
Marathon Flame Lighting Ceremony 7pm Friday 24th February
Disabled Start 5.30am Saturday 25th February 2017
Trail Start 7.30am Saturday 25th February 2017
SPCA PawsWalk 11am Saturday 25th February 2017
MaraFun Start 2pm Saturday 25th February 2017
21,1/42,2 Start 5.30am Sunday 26th February 2017
10km Start 9.30am Sunday 26th February 2017
Please remember that there is a new start venue in New England Road and the finish venue is in the eastern end of the Golden Horse Driveway.
- You will need to collect your race package with your race numbers and timing chip (attached to the FRONT race number – do not detach! However, if you are unfortunate enough to lose it, Eileen and her team will have a solution for you at the finish) and Complimentary T shirt (Free T shirt for all 42,2 and 21,1 entrants and early bird 10km and Trail). If you ordered a Temporary licence, it will be included in your race package.
- You will need to pin your RACE NUMBER, with the timing chip, on the FRONT and the second race number on the BACK OF YOUR VEST, CROP TOP OR SHIRT. The number with the timing chip should be on the front. You are advised to write a contact name and telephone number and your medical aid details, on the back of your printed race numbers. This information will be vital to your safety in the unfortunate event that you should not be able to communicate for yourself. (link to Image)
Please remember the new ASA Rule….
YOU MUST WEAR YOUR 2017 ASA NUMBERS ON THE FRONT AND BACK OF YOUR VEST, T-SHIRT OR CROP TOP. YOU MUST THEN PIN YOUR RACE NUMBERS ON THE LOWER PART OF THE ASA NUMBER, LEAVING THE PROVINCIAL AND SPONSOR (LOTTO) LOGO EXPOSED ABOVE THE RACE NUMBER.
THIS APPLIES EQUALLY TO THE WEARING OF THE TEPORARY LICENCE EXCEPT THAT, AS THERE IS ONLY ONE, YOU WILL WEAR THIS TEMPORARY LICENCE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR CROPTOP, VEST OR T-SHIRT WITH THE TOP PART EXPOSED. YOU WILL HAVE ONLY THE RACE NUMBER ON THE BACK OF YOUR VEST, T-SHIRT OR CROP TOP.
- The official race photographers are JETLINE ACTION PHOTO and all the photos will be displayed and available for purchase on their web site at www.jetlineactionphoto.com. No photographs will be posted to you unless ordered via their web site or offices (Consumer Act Regulations)
- There will be a tog bag facility. Tog bags may be handed in at the Khayelihle Events Trucks at the start and retrieved from the Tog Bag Tent at the West End of the Sports Field at the finish venue. Give yourself and the volunteers time to log your possessions.
- The start of the Marathon and Half Marathon is in New England Road and feeds from the Southern end. The start will be at 5.30am SHARP! Runners are asked to muster in New England Road, entering from the King Edward Avenue end. Only SEEDED runners will be allowed to be in the front of the start to warm up in Surrey Road, but will be called back into the seeding pen by no later than 05H15.
The Disabled event will start at 05H30 and the Trail runs will start at 07H30, on Saturday 25th, in the eastern end of the Driveway at the Golden Horse.
- The Sunday events will be started by a BOOM!!!! from the SA Navy’s saluting gun. The start runs straight down Surrey Road. The first refreshment station, at 3,5km, staffed by Hollywood Bets, will distribute WATER ONLY on the first lap. It will be dark at 5.30am so please be careful.
- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE run, walk or ride only exactly where designated.
- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT CROSS the road anywhere but at an intersection unless specifically directed to do so.
- Please please please be courteous to the marshals, traffic officers and table helpers. They are only there to make sure that everyone has the greatest Maritzburg City Marathon experience. Remember that they are all out there from about 4am and will only stand down when the route is closed at 12 noon. They do this for love not money. If the table is lacking in your favourite want at that particular moment, don’t shout at the helper, come and see me after the race.
- There are refreshment stations every three kilometres on route. Each station will have its own dedicated refrigeration lorry, courtesy of Clover. At the refreshment tables you will find Coke, Iced Tea and water. On the second lap, you will be afforded the option of Powerade sachets and a limited amount of Cream Soda. There will also be a limited amount of biscuits and chocolate, potatoes or banana (if available). Please be considerate of the other folk behind you and leave them some too. There will also be two intermediate stations, at Carbineers Drill Hall (23km) and Maritzburg College (7,5/28,5km), which will have cold water.
There will be a member of our team, with a radio, at each refreshment station and they are your link to the nearest ambulance in case of an emergency. Please report medical problems to them and remember to tell them between which kilometre marks (approximately) the patient is.
There will also be a Red Cross First Aider at each refreshment station. They are your first response in case of emergency.
The table folk should know and be able to point out the relevant radio person and first aider.
- LITTER: This is a #RunClean event. Please try to keep the City as clean as possible, especially our route. There will be 190000 water sachets and 20000 Powerade Sachets as well as 40000 little plastic drinking bottles and cardboard cups on route. There will be 400 bins and 7 rubbish skips on route as well. Please please please use them. If you really can’t carry your litter to a bin, then drop it neatly at a kilometre marker board. We have to clear all this when you’ve gone home. X10Siv will be patrolling the route and collecting bagged litter for recycling.
- The 21 and 42 kilometre are exactly even laps.
- This is a World Championship qualifying course.
- The kilometres are marked by large Yellow squares painted on the road with large red numbers written in them. There will also be boards standing on the side of the road near these marks. The route is measured to international standards as is required by the Association of International Marathons and Distance Running (AIMS) so please believe them and not your personal measuring device. We have IAAF and AIMS certification for all three distances. These are displayed on the web site. The trail distances are approximate.
- There will be ELEVEN mobile referees and a number of static officials along the route. Their role is to ensure that you complete the challenge as efficiently and safely as possible so please accept their comments graciously. In all sports it is customary to thank the ref after the game (even if you think he’s made diabolical decisions) – let us introduce this culture back into our sport too.
- If you are finishing the event, 10km, 21,1km or 42,2km, keep Right in New England Road and you will sweep into the Golden Horse Driveway.
- Once you have cleared the finish and received your medal you may take coke, Powerade or water at the refreshment tent before exiting the finish area. Once out, please do not come back into the finish area. Remember to smile and thank those helping, you will be on camera.
- You may collect a slice of cake or sandwich or biscuits and tea or coffee at the refreshment tent at the exit to the finish procedure.
- If you are finishing your fifth Maritzburg Marathon (42,2km) you are entitled to a blue permanent number. See Julie in the registration tent after you finish.
- When you have finished, eaten and drunk your fill, socialised a while and recount your “war stories”, Please please please leave carefully, being considerate of those still on the road and drive home safely. We’d love to have you back next year.
- Post your whole experience and pictures on #pmb42 # MaritzburgCityMarathon @infopmb42 (Twitter) @Runpmb (Instagram)
Registration will take place in the marquee in the grounds of the Golden Horse, 45 New England Road, Pietermaritzburg. Registration will be open from 9am till 8pm Friday 24th February, 9am untill 5pm on Saturday 25th February and on Sunday morning from 4.30am till 5.15am. It is recommended that you collect your race number, timing chip and T shirt (if you were an “early bird entry”) from registration on Friday or Saturday rather than Sunday if at all possible. This will give you the opportunity to familiarise yourself with the route to and from the event and the layout of the grounds during daylight. If you come on Saturday, you will also be able to give yourself calmer preparation on Sunday morning.
Trail registration will only be on Friday and from 05H00 to 07H00 on Saturday 25th February.
Your race number will be sms’d to you. Please write this on a piece of paper and have it handy when you arrive. The team at registration will look for your package for you based on this race number. They will need to identify you and may ask for ID number and/or licence number and/or club.
If you entered on line or paid by direct deposit, it is advisable to bring your deposit slip or the e-mail that confirmed receipt of your entry (MM17-)
Please tell all your friends that missed the closing date for entries that there will be NO LATE ENTRIES for the 21,1km or 42,2km on Sunday.
You may still purchase a charity entry on Friday or Saturday at a cost of R300 for the 21,1km or R500 for the 42,2km.
Trail entries will be taken on Friday 25th until 8pm.
The 10km may be entered on Friday 24th until 20H00 and on Saturday 25th until 17H00. There will be NO entries taken on race day.
We are doing our best for the 6000 of you that made the deadline and we want you all to achieve and have a great and enjoyable run or walk and achieve your goal, whatever it may be.
How to get there?
Take the glide off to Alan Paton Avenue (formerly Durban Road) and travel down past the University. At the 3rd set of Traffic Lights, King Edward Avenue, (KFC and Scottsville Mall as indicators) Turn Right - East. This is about one kilometre after passing through the first traffic light after leaving the N3.
Take the second exit to the city to New England Road. As you leave the N3, keep left and continue along New England Road through the traffic lights at Ridge Road and then, at King Edward Avenue (the Golden Horse Hotel and Casino). Turn RIGHT into the driveway.
From the North - Mooi River (Johannesburg):
Take the Peter Brown (formerly Duncan MacKenzie) off ramp and then turn right across the N3. After about 500 metres you enter a roundabout and take the second exit (“in at 6 out at 12"). Wind down the hill for 3 kilometres and pass the Royal Show Grounds on your left. Over the hump back Railway Bridge and straight along Chief Albert Luthuli Street (formerly Commercial Road). After one kilometre, pass the City Hall on your left and then a further kilometre down the road cross the Msunduzi. Pass SASOL on the left and SHELL on your right. About one kilometre after the river, you must turn LEFT into King Edward Avenue at the Scottsville Mall. 500 metres and it’s straight across the traffic lights and in to the Golden Horse Driveway.
From The East – If you take the Liberty Mall (Chatterton Road), Ohrtmann Road, Manning Avenue or Greytown (Dr Chota Motola) roads then cross the City in a Westerly Direction until you reach Chief Albert Luthuli Road and then South until King Edward Avenue.
ARRIVE EARLY ENOUGH SO AS NOT TO STRESS YOURSELF NOR ANY OF THE RESIDENTS OF THE CITY WHO MUST ALSO BE ALLOWED TO GO ABOUT THEIR BUSINESS SAFELY.
By kind permission of Golden Horse, we have plenty of off street parking. This parking is inside the infield of Scottsville Race Course at the Golden Horse.
PLEASE DO NOT EVER WALK ACROSS THE HORSE RACE RUNNING TRACK ANYWHERE – THE FUTURE OF OUR TENURE WILL BE JEOPARDISED BY THIS ACTION.
PLEASE, QUIETLY, ADHERE TO THE DIRECTIONS OF ALL MARSHALS AND SAFETY OFFICERS – THEY ARE THERE FOR YOUR SAFETY AND THAT OF THE REGULAR PATRONS.
- This parking will be open from 3.30am on Sunday 26th.
- Please adhere to the marshals directions.
- There will be two lanes for traffic accessing the parking. After the 5.30am start, this will be reduced to one lane in each direction.
- Please do not try to park in the driveway or any of the paved parking
- Please do not stop anywhere to drop off whilst accessing the parking
- Park considerately so that others can make use of the facility too
- When you have parked, follow the directions of the security officers and marshals to the two subways under the horse race track
- PLEASE DO NOT WALK ON THE HORSE RACE TRACK
- If you have already registered, you should proceed through the subway taking you through the Please go AROUND the gaming area and do not try to venture across it.
- Please be considerate of the regular patrons
- PLEASE DO NOT WALK ON THE HORSE RACE TRACK
- If you still need to register, proceed, CAREFULLY, through the speed fenced pedestrian lane in the subway and to the registration tent.
- Wherever possible, please use fenced areas or pavements for your own safety.
- PLEASE DO NOT WALK ON THE HORSE RACE TRACK
Drop and Go:
- From 4am on Sunday 26th the following roads will be closed to all vehicular traffic
- Surrey Road between Woodhouse Road and New England Road (“Spiderman circle”)
- New England Road from St Patricks Road to the Circle at Surrey Road
- Connaught Road at New England Road
- New England Road at the circle
- New England Road between Woodhouse Road and the Circle will be a drop and go area.
- Connaught Road outside Comrades Marathon Museum will be a drop and go area
- St Patricks Road between New England Road and Alan Paton Avenue will be a drop and go area.
There are many hotels and Bed and Breakfast establishments offering affordable accommodation in Pietermaritzburg.
By kind permission of the Natal Carbineers there will be a marquee erected at the Carbineers Drill Hall grounds, Geere Street (emasosheni). There is no bedding however this is secure shelter and is only a 2km walk from the start.
Those who wish to camp at the venue may do so but security and cleanliness of the military base is of utmost importance.
The administration buildings and hall are out of bounds to civilians.
To make it worth your while to come to Maritzburg on Friday and register, there will be a Free live concert between 18H00 and 22H00, presented by Khayelihle Events in co-operation with Stage Group. Come and enjoy the evening and imbibe the atmosphere.
During the course of the concert, we will light our Marathon Flame which will burn until Sunday noon.
In co-operation with Liberty Midlands Mall, we present Kidzone for your convenience and your kids’ safety and fun. Professional care and secure supervision will be available from 7am till 5pm on Saturday and from 4.30am till 12H30 on Sunday. You sign your kids in and YOU sign them out. See the KIDZONE link at the top of this page for more information. The cost per child is R40 payable to the access controller at Kidzone.
To add value to the event we have been partnered by El Sombrero Spur, PinkDrive and MBTM and are staging a series of fun runs/walks for the WHOLE FAMILY. All the distances are based on 42 and 21. Starting with a one (2.1km) or two (4.2km) lap fun run at 2 pm followed by 420 metres, 210 metres, 42 metre toddler trot and then a 21 metre nappy crawl all the events are priced at an affordable R40 and entries can be purchased from 9am onwards on Saturday, at the registration. Each finisher will receive a MaraFun medal. Great fun for the whole family and value for money.
Courtesy of Pink Drive and the El Sombrero Spur of Scottsville Mall, 600 children will each receive a Pink Drive or Blue MBTM commemorative shirt.
Please would all club captains make every effort to get their club tents erected on Saturday by 5pm. If you really really really have to get your club tent here on Sunday morning, then come early and be prepared to walk and carry.
- The Golden Horse Sports Field is unlicenced for alcohol. If you bring your own beer, remember that the sale of alcohol will be prohibited.
We have caterers who will be providing a range to suit any pallet and cold drinks. Please support them.
- Please note that we are compelled to abide by the Municipal Safety Rules and NO BRAAI FIRES OR GAS BRAAIS WILL BE PERMITTED.
Above all, enjoy your Witness Medihelp Maritzburg City Marathon Experience, powered by Clover and Khayelihle, and the hospitality of our City.
As you tour, you will pass some magnificent old buildings, look out for the Giraffe at Bisley, and some old and famous schools.
Tarry a while and commit to the 22nd Maritzburg City Marathon at the end of February 2018.
When you are attending the race and in all your dealings up to and after, please remember that, no matter how professionally this event may be presented, EVERY SINGLE ONE of us does this voluntarily, in our “spare time´ and NONE of us is paid to do what we do. We on the committee and every marshal, table helper, finish hand, caterer, medical staff, etc, etc, etc have a passion to be up at all hours and stay until all hours so that we can experience the joy and accomplishment that you experience